Saturday 30 August 2014

New Learning over the FMP Process(500 wds)

When I embarked on the Final Major project, I was still learning by experimentation and making mistakes. I enjoyed working in the darkroom, getting 'lost' for hours with experimental processes. I would get so excited, I would just rush forward, without thinking about my desired outcome or bothering to record the process for future reference. Now I am much better organised and have learnt to curb my enthusiasm long enough to write details of exposure time, filters and Fstops on the back of each image.
In this way I am able to repeat effects I like. I have definitely taught myself to think ahead to what I want to produce and how it will meet set assessment criteria. I regularly refer to my initial Gannt Chart for the FMP and check that I am on track with the weekly schedule. I think I have become a more professional practitioner.
I started the M.A course with very little knowledge or skill in digital processes. I was thinking in analogue and 'hands-on' manner and trying to translate that into digital processes.

I was very lucky to be working with Creative Arts students, who were all very generous with their time and expertise when I got stuck on something. As I work with dyslexic students, they are excellent at explaining new techniques to a slow learner like me! They knew exactly how important it was to allow me to learn the new skill with my hands on the keyboard, with them talking to me. That must make me a combination of a Kinaesthetic and auditory learner. I recorded instructions on my phone and wrote them up afterwards, so I have my own 'crib sheets.' They give me confidence.

I also loved regularly sharing work, and having discussions about theories, new artists and ideas with my students, friends and peers. This proved a rich and valuable learning experience. We were able to inspire each other, give useful feedback and make new suggestions.
Examples of posts from my blog about new learning:

Printing onto silk
Clone stamp
Holger Putin Tutorial
Polygon tool
Flipping horizontal and Vertical
Hanging and wall mounting
responding to work of others

If I were to analyse my learning processes:

I LOOK at work of other artists--- and try to RECREATE it in a new way, learning the necessary skills.

I READ about theories, or the thoughts and practises of other practitioners

---and try to EXPRESS my own interpretation using similar techniques and processes.

I FEEL  an emotional response to what I see or read --- and try to represent or evoke that same feeling in my work, experimenting with new methodologies and testing it out on others.

Over all, I have taught myself to work in a more structured, efficient  way, recording techniques, ideas and people as I go along. I feel I have learnt a lot about how I learn best and what had obstructed my learning process in the past. I try hard now to follow the new structures I have put in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment