Tuesday 12 August 2014

Wall Mounting Considerations


I would like to mount the paper images on the walls of the studio with as little around them to distract the audience as possible. So, no frame or border, or obvious sign of fixing to the wall.

I saw some very big pieces of work in the Chapman Lounge, in the main Building of College Lane,  which were mounted onto blocks of wood about 5 centimetres deep. The work was bigger than the mount behind, so it seemed to 'float' off the wall. A similar construction for my work would almost push the image towards the audience more, creating an unsettling sense of proximity and perhaps intimidation.




There is about 3 c. m of 'overhang' on each edge of the work, so the means of mounting and attachment to the wall are not visible.
The work had no details with it so I cannot credit the artist here.

I found an A3 paper box, and experimented with it as a form of attachment for an A2 image.



I quite like the effect here as from front-on the image is suspended at eye level. The parts of the image that are not supported by the backing box may bend or warp slightly, so I ay have to think about building little struts attached to the box that add rigidity to the whole of the image.



A some angles, the box behind the image will be visible, if only glanced as the viewer is moving round the room. so the finish and quality of the surface will need to be more uniform and look solid. I could make it firmer by attaching wide tape round every side, then paint it with white emulsion so that it disappears into the white wall in the background.

These images also highlight the added problem of light bouncing off the glossy surface of the image causing the detail to be distorted or blocked out. I may be able to soften or diffuse the light source in some ay to prevent this effect.


When the image is viewed from directly in front, there is no light flare on the surface. I like the simplicity of this method of mounting.

I found some A3 storage boxes that were being thrown away, so I was able to have 10 of them. They are more substantial than the one featured above, and once painted may form a perfect, rigid support and mount for the paper images.


The depth is about 7 c.m so the 'floating' effect will be even more prominent.


I will probably have to glue all the sides together to ensure the support remains rigid. Then I will paint them with white emulsion. It is very important that the images are all suspended at exactly the same height. I want to create a sense of 'order' and 'control' just as I have within the images themselves. I think two screws fixed just smaller than the width of the top edge of the box would enable me to push the box mount onto the screws, then they will be invisible. 
I have researched the average eye-level height of men and women which is 160 c.m. (www.google.uk) I will temporarily attach an image at the height and get some feedback from peers.






No comments:

Post a Comment