Wednesday 13 August 2014

Reflection and Evaluation Workshop 13/08/14

The M.A Media group had a workshop with Ian Willcock about  our preparation for the final assignment of our course of study today.

Today we looked in more detail at the assessment criteria and details of the brief. As well as a powerpoint presentation, Ian organised pair and group sessions which really helped to involve me actively in discussing the objectives, thinking about them, and finding solutions. The whole session suited the way I learn, as it was fast-paced and divided into several different tasks and formats.

I need to prepare a presentation evaluating my final project by 2nd September, have my work up in the studio for assessment,  and make sure I have completed my blog according to specified requirements  by 16.00 on Wednesday 3rd September.
I also have to include two 500 word posts in my blog:
 one reflecting on my creative decision making,
 and the other on the process of learning new skills during the course of my Final Major Project.

To begin with I found it difficult to separate out these two elements as I tend to combine them. When I learn something new, I want to experiment by taking my work in a different direction. Alternatively,   when I want to try  something that I have seen at an exhibition, I seek out the skills necessary to do it.

Reflection and Evaluation
Reflection is a very personal process which questions what I have done, how it made me feel, what I was good or bad at and how I might have done things differently. This questioning process should lead me to be a more self-aware practitioner.
Evaluation is a far more academic, structured and objective process. I need to establish justifiable criteria to apply to my artefact and do so with reference to underpinning research and evidence to support my judgements.

The pair activity was in the form of an interview about each other's work. The questions I chose to ask were 'stepping off points' which lead to an interesting discussion. It was interesting to see the passion and excitement generated by talking about our own work.

My most fruitful questions were:

What or who was the inspiration for your work?

What was the most difficult part?

What was the message you were trying to express?

Do you think it 'works'?

When we shared questions with another pair, and then heard from the other groups, I realised that I had not looked ahead at the end purpose of this exercise,  and geared my  questions towards the assignment criteria. I had not included questions about documentation and time management, feedback and how you used it, new skills learnt and creative decision making.
My original questions were more about reflection.

I realised that once I had established a full range of suitable questions, they could form the 'bones'  of my written reflection and evaluation.

As a result of this workshop I have set myself several tasks:

1. Look back through my blog posts and make notes under:

a) Creative Decision Making

b) New Learning

c) Placing my work at the forefront

2. Check the Assessment criteria,  make sureI know the requirements,
 then tick them off as they are met

3. Start thinking about criteria I will use to evaluate my own work

4. Begin to plan my presentation

I usually make these kind of 'To Do' lists in my note book, but felt it was important to evidence this aspect of my own methodology and management of time and tasks in a blog post that can be used as an example for two of the learning outcomes 'manage self….' and '..make good use of time and resources…'








No comments:

Post a Comment