Wednesday 6 August 2014

Holger Pootin Tutorial.

Had a very useful Photoshop session with this experienced and very knowledgeable tutor.
Unfortunately, it is quite late in my 2 year M.A course, with only weeks until the final assessment to start applying all of the tools he showed me, as I need to allow time for printing and mounting.

However, I can apply some of the tips and I will use them in the future. I have had problems when printing when the colours on my laptop screen are not the same as those that are printed. This is a simple thing to fix, but I have taught myself Photoshop, and didn't know this before. As long as the laptop and the printer I will be using are calibrated to the same settings I will never have this problem again.




I learnt how to prepare a raw image before opening it in Photoshop. In the past, I would just check the image was O.K and open it in Photoshop. The 'temperature' slider is particularly useful to change the lighting from a cooler blue tone to a warm yellow/orange tone.




I also learnt about an effect called 'Moire' which I know as a kind of  'watered silk'. In digital photography however,  this is the blurring almost psychedelic effect that can occur on pattern in an image. Holger showed us the blur filter that can remove Moire.
In photoshop, Holger went through the various adjustments in the process of creating the best image we can.


Holger gave me feedback on one of the printed fabric pieces I have made for my assessment. He liked the way it was something that I brought in a bag, unwrapped and held up. I wasn't planning to make my assessment a performance piece, but that is an interesting idea. He said that I had got out all my negatives onto the fabric, but I had not escaped from them; they are still part of me. The fabric, that is held and handled shows this.
he also talked about how the symmetry and colours of the image were mesmerising and drew your eye into it, only to be confronted by the actual subject matter of the image, formally unseen. he mentioned the attraction/ repulsion quality of the piece. This was very positive for me as that is the feeling I am trying to create. 




Holger went on to question why I would also have images printed on paper as part of the exhibit. he thought that silk hangings, that the viewer had to move through, touching and feeling the silk, would be more effective. I have ordered 10 A1 prints, so the prospect of paying for them and not using them and then doing more fabric prints is a bit daunting. However, I understand his view and see how valid it is. I will have to wait until the prints arrive and see how they look on the walls in combination with the fabric hangings.







No comments:

Post a Comment