Monday 4 August 2014

Hanging Experiments

I have two images printed onto silk which I want to use to form a kind of 'funnel' leading the viewer into the room.
I hope that the movement of people in the space will cause the hangings to flutter and move around.

Once the viewer works out the objects within the image, this movement may create a sense of disease.

I bought magnetic hooks as the false ceiling of the studio is held in place with metal strips.
I also have transparent nylon thread and small bulldog clips.



I hung one of the images using the panels making up the wall as a guide. This one I tried without any thread between the hook and the clip.


And the second one:-

Here I have used nylon thread between the hook and clip. This one seems to be less droopy than the first. It is so important to hang them both exactly the same to maintain symmetry which is a key feature in my work.


I can see several faults with these hanging methods:
The images are too high, and need to be below the level of the top edge of the enclosing wall. As it is at this height, the harsh light from the ceiling shines through the fine fabric, making it more difficult to see.

Secondly, the fabric is too droopy and forms the shape of two 'wings'. I think I would prefer it to be straighter. I may have to thread a bamboo pole though the top edge to make it stiffer.

The thread is also too flexible and not strong enough. I have to get fishing nylon which is stronger.


This is the view looking out of the studio. I can see how much better it would look if they were hung lower and closer to the eye level of the viewer.

I plan to attach the images printed on paper to the walls all at the same level. I am considering fixing them to foam board of about 2 cm in depth. This is so that they stand proud of the wall, but there will be no frame distracting the viewers. I am waiting for 10 images to be printed, 5 on glossy paper, 5 on Matt. I plan to fix 3 to each side wall and 4 across the back wall.
I plan to have a small plinth as a shelf in the centre of the back wall which will hold the little drawers of objects and the box file of information about the objects in the images.
 I will have to think carefully about the relationship between the separate images and different surface effects. The light may bounce off the glossy ones, which will determine where in the studio they should be placed. I also need to consider the effect I am trying to create as you move  into and through the space.



No comments:

Post a Comment