Monday 1 September 2014

Final Feedback from Tutorial on 26.08.2014

I met with Peter Suchen, an artist and critic and Rebecca Thomas at Hatfield house for a final Tutorial.

With Peter, I discussed my artist's statement, and apart from a question about first or third person, he felt it was clear and concise and expressed everything a viewer would need to understand and appreciate my exhibition. He though that the way I planned to set out the room would create a fitting sense of being 'overpowered' and 'unsettled' by the work. Peter suggested that I mat be trying to include too many separate images, so I will think carefully about that factor when I put them up.

We discussed how in the future, I would like to start selling images and he felt that in the right galleries, they would sell. I felt quite content after this meeting that I had done as much preparation as I needed to and that I had made sound aesthetic choices. I am glad that I got more images printed than I will need, so I have a variety to select from. I cannot make those decisions until I start putting the work in place and see how they look together.

With Rebecca, I discussed the assessment criteria and LOM to make sure I had interpreted them correctly. It was reassuring that we reached similar understandings. Rebecca was able to make additional suggestions that were useful. The main input I got from this tutorial was a confirmation of my  drive to constantly improve, refine and push forward my original ideas from the proposal stage, right up to now. I feel confident about the quality of my work and its appeal and effect on others. I think I have achieved what I planned and suggested in my proposal.
I have not included sound effects or an overlay of film because that proved too complex and time-consuming in the given time scale. I adapted the planned idea of a  'Cabinet of Curiosities',  by collecting together the objects used; documenting, explaining and displaying them in little boxes.
I am also planning to make silk scarves with my designs in the future, and Rebecca felt this medium would work well.
Overall, I am content that I have worked very hard over the M.A course. I have been able to maintain a high work rate, producing complex intricate images, despite many distractions and problems. I have completed all assignments on time and to the best of my ability and am able to look back with pride on what I have achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment