Tuesday 1 July 2014

Using the Polygon Tool


Sometimes I make hexagonal shapes, by cutting triangular sections from a still life image, then fitting them together.


When I first started to do this I didn't know how to cut out a perfect triangle (60') using photoshop.
My hand-made solution was to measure a perfect equilateral triangle using a protractor, then cut it out from a sheet of acetate. I had saved  lots of sheets of it from when we made overhead projection slides.
I then marked each point with a blob of nail varnish so that I could hold it onto the screen and cut round it with the select tool.

This method was not very accurate and caused me to delete work that was going too 'wonky' after hours of working on it, which was frustrating!
I showed one of my students, Felix,  my 'Heath Robinson' way of working, that I was quite proud of,  and he burst out laughing and showed me how to use the Polygon tool in a matter of minutes.
As he was Dyslexic, he explained each stage carefully and explained what it would look like if I had gone wrong, and how to correct that. He was so patient and generous with his time.

You just select the tool which is shaped as a hexagon icon…


Then you select '3 points' in the little boxes at the top of the page. This pre-sets your selection into a triangle shape.
you place the curser into the area you want to cut out, move it to the desired size and angle and select.


I have reduced the opacity, using the slider in the right hand panel, so I can see the section I am selecting.

I then copy the triangular shape and paste it onto a new page.


After making 6 copies of the shape, I start fitting them together in a circular pattern, using 
Image--Transform--Flip Vertical/Horizontal.


In this simple and accurate way, I can build perfect hexagons in a fraction of the time and effort it had taken me before. This was such an  exciting learning experience for me. It felt similar to ordering my shopping online for the first time!!
However, because of my bad memory, I did get Felix to dictate some fool-proof instructions, which I check as I am working. I find I have to make a hexagon now and then, so I can remind myself of the process. I love it!













No comments:

Post a Comment