Friday 25 July 2014

Archiving Objects

I have discussed how it seems important that the viewer has an understanding of the objects within the work and their significance\ symbolism.


                                                  I am thinking about how my objects could be  displayed and explained.      

I have bought some little acrylic drawers and am experimenting with using them to display objects. The  transparency is useful and the way they suggest perhaps archival material in the store room of a museum.

The clean, clear acrylic makes it easy to see the contents and against a white background, the colours look bright and vivid.
It might be interesting for viewers to look at the objects, then try to spot them in the images.

                                                     I would like viewers to be able to open the drawers and look more              
  closely at the contents. However, there may be health and safety issues (particularly with anti-psychotic drugs!)

I would also have to consider that young children may be present and might want to put beads and other things in their mouths(or pockets!)

Perhaps I could leave the drawers accessible for the assessment and external examiners, then super glue them closed.


At the moment, the bright shiny objects look attractive and draw
        the eye.

But when their significance is known, perhaps the bright, seductive colours and shapes will serve to mock the attraction as they represent negative, depressing events and conditions that plague me.
This jewellery has lost its lustre as it has a coating of soot from my house fire. It is interesting to take out and handle.



What might the less attractive substances look like displayed in this manner?



Drugs look like sweets. They also have a lure that appeals to a childhood sweet tooth and curiosity.



But how about feces?
It still looks quite contained and clinical.
This would definitely need to be glued safely closed!

The other practical issue I would need to consider is that of unpleasant smells. I think that mildly assaulting the viewer's sense of smell as well as vision would add more meaning to my work. After all, I am dealing with a difficult and unsettling subject, so a nasty smell would add strength to that message.


Here is one set of draws with different objects in each layer. I would have to display them at an optimal eye-level. 
Would I attach them to the wall? 

In that case whatever was used to attach them might show through the acrylic-spoiling the effect.

Perhaps a narrow shelf along the wall under the images would be better?


The next question is that of explaining a little about each drawer of objects.

A little label might be in keeping with the museum idea. I love the beautifully written labels in museums like the Foundling Museum, where each object brought in by the mother with her child is carefully labelled in copperplate script.
The label in the above image does not match the contents. I would have to plan what to write on each label, as there is not much space to write on to deliver a meaningful message.



No comments:

Post a Comment