Tuesday 8 October 2013

Panspermia

I was advised to look at the work of Simeon Nelson, a lecturer at UH.
I have seen him around the building, but never spoken to him. Now, since looking at his work, I feel I know him. He seems to be interested in creating a whole, detailed and beautiful image out of scraps and found or observed objects. His technical skill is much more advanced than mine.

     'Love will tear us apart'  (2002)

 I love the way he layers objects from disparate sources over each other, causing the viewer to hunch closer to the screen and examine the seemingly 3D patterns that draw you in until you feel you might fall  and go spiralling down through the leaves and electrical circuits and crash into the delicate skulls down below!
I want to create that sense of depth which I think my work lacks at the moment.
Nelson seems to have created a new world that crashes Science and Nature together.

Wasteland (2002)


 The roots and vines here are overlaid onto bright scraps and rubbish gathered from forgotten places.The effect is that of lace or fine embroidery.

In response to this work, I used an image I took on a walk, of branches and twigs covered completely with lichen. I like the green and yellow tones.



Coles (2013) Twigs



No comments:

Post a Comment