Tuesday 29 October 2013

Flipping horizontally and vertically


I studied Gymnastics at college and learnt to do all kinds of flips  and vaults over the horse-'long arm over-swing', 'neck spring', 'forward and back flips'…
 When I learnt to manipulate sections of images to make the kaleidoscopic effect, I related the steps back to learning to vault. This sounds crazy, but must be connected to my Kinaesthetic learning style!

I have a set of hand written notes next to me while I am doing this and work very slowly, with lots of mistakes!

To start with, I select a section from the original image that 'has a lot going on in it'. By that I mean interesting shapes, contrasting light and colours.


The area in the centre with a combination of dark and pale branches and some grass in the background looks interesting.
 I cut a section using the select tool, create a new page,  and drop the new section onto it.





Then I copy that layer 6 times. Sometimes I do up to 22 sections, but I start with 6.
Using command and 'T' I select a copied section and line it up exactly alongside the original section.






Then using Edit,- Transform,- flip Vertical or Horizontal, I start to create symmetry.





I build up the image in blocks, making the pattern radiate out from the centre. At this stage I have to make choices about how I want the pattern to develop. I try to imagine the finished shapes once all the sections have been lined up and flipped. I can choose to create a flower-like structure, with the shaped radiating from the centre, or I can focus on drawing shapes out to the borders of the image, to frame it.





As the image builds up, I either get excited or disappointed as I can see how it is going to look when complete. I finish it anyway just to see if my prediction is right. here I stopped at 4 sections as I thought there was enough detail in it to make a strong and interesting image that draws you into the centre, then leads your eyes along the coral like, intertwined branches.

I can either make the final image bigger and more complex by continuing to build up the tiles, or I reach a stage when I think it is finished. Sometimes it is hard to stop, as I want to see what happens when I keep adding!
Then I flatten the image and apply any colour and contrast adjustments. (again using my scribbled notes)




The final Image:



I added a black frame and have increased the black level using curves, this darkens the background, bringing the organic shapes into sharper contrast. The black from the frame has crept into the image at the top and bottom. Although this is unintentional, I quite like the effect. But I will have to find out how to stop this happening. I will ask one of my Creative Arts students.
I try to save each piece of work with a memorable name and number in series as I have found it hard sometimes to find images again. My filing needs more attention, but I am getting there! I now have a collection of themed folders on my desktop like 'Twigs' and 'Gothic'

No comments:

Post a Comment