Monday 14 October 2013

Cabinet of Curiosities

I found an old tool box that my neighbour had thrown out and thought it might be a useful way of displaying my work.








I decided to leave the cobwebs and accumulated dust on it as an extra skin.
Cabinets of Curiosities were used to display valuable collections of Natural Science objects, valuable jewels or ores, and even objects from tribes or ancient civilisations whose use was unknown.



I tried laying out a kaleidoscope image that had been made from shells and flowers, then I added the component parts that had made up the image along the little shelf. It was like saying this is what life is made of, a collection of  little, inconsequential experiences, joys and sorrows. But how you use those incoscequences and weave them together to make a firm and substantial life is up to each individual.


I continued by filling the box with artefacts of curiosity and interest which may or may not have been used to create the final image above them. These need to be much more carefully and symmetrically laid out and perhaps labeled with little brown tags like in a museum. I would also like to test out building a perspex lid on the lower section and introducing cockroaches, spiders or perhaps ants or flies to that section. Damian Hurst cow's head and flies-death and rebirth. to add




No comments:

Post a Comment