Friday 6 September 2013

Final Major Project: Planning draft


Although it is quite difficult to plan so far ahead and to make my Gannt chart so detailed, prescriptive, and rigid, I am going to try to stick to it. I will check the plan regularly to check that I am on course and may make a few changes. I have attached my Gannt Chart and proposals of how I will document my process  and what I intend to deliver.


Project Documentation Proposal

I tend to record notes, sketches, questions and lists in a notebook, often in the night or first thing in the morning, then start building a file on a line of enquiry as it arises. I plan to write and post a blog once a week over the period of the year. I build a post as a word document during the week, adding to it as I read or see new work. By the end of the week, when I am happy with it I post the post. I plan to spend about 30 minutes every day on this task.

I do not look specifically and exclusively for inspiration from the field of photography.. I prefer to be inspired by a news item, something I have read in a magazine, an exhibition, a film, a painting, an academic review or theory, the creative industries generally, History, Science, or just a conversation at a party...
This seems to be a more fruitful method as links, themes and connections seem to spark off and develop as I research deeper.
As I discover an artist whose work chimes with my own in some way, I try to understand meaning by making my own analysis. This is recorded in notes. Then I try to read curator’s reviews, or the artist’s statement. I may then edit the post, adding more analysis and evaluation, or create a new, linked post continuing the analysis.
Once I feel I have a better understanding of the work I often change my opinion and response to it. This can either be a disappointment or a revelation. Whatever my feeling has become, the next stage is to make a visual response to the work. It is a bit like an unspoken conversation between us.  I either try to reverse or contradict what I have seen, or push it in a new direction.
It becomes a form of  ‘intertextual homage’
 I then post my visual responses and what I have learnt from that ‘conversation’ .I tend avoid listing new technical skills and their application, as these will be obvious to assessors;  rather, I focus on how well it works aesthetically as a cultural artefact. I will comment on routes towards solutions to specific problems and what I have gained from that process. I have received positive feedback on my blogs, so will continue them in a similar vein, keeping my focus on the desired final outcome.
I will end the series of blogs with a summary, looking back on what I feel I have learnt and how I have used that to better understand my own practice, pushing it forward. This year I plan to open my blog to public scrutiny and ask friends and fellow creatives to post comments. I think this will contribute to my progress and development as an artist.

Statement of Project Deliverables

I hope to show the best cross section of the work I have produced this year in response to artists in the forefront of photography and other media. It will incorporate the knowledge I have gained from on-going research into theories, debates and methodologies pertinent to my area of interest. As I move forward in my own practice, I will apply similar critical self-analysis and commentary to that of the artists I research.
I will record this developmental journey in my blog and will also present a body of images in a portfolio, which will demonstrate my creative exploration, leading to the final pieces.
I aim to produce between 3 and 5 high quality A2 images, which examine themes such as ugly/beautiful seductive/ repellent. I want to evoke a strong reaction from the viewer/participant in my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment