Monday 19 May 2014

Catlin Gallery

Catlin Art Prize  2014      www.artcatlin.com

I hunted out this amazing gallery in a little street in Shoreditch. Shabby on the outside, cool and luxurious on the inside!
It was a presentation of the best recent graduate and post graduate U.K artists.
I thought it was important to see what ‘cutting edge artists’ were up to.
Immediately, as I walked in, I was impressed by a large man in a suit at the door. I was a bit intimidated and expected him to ask me for my invitation, but he just handed me a beautiful blue book and a leaflet. What I thought was a book was in fact the beautifully textured deep blue sleeve of the ‘2014 Guide’ to the 40 artists inside. I felt like an expensive special edition record sleve.

As I walked into the exhibition space, I could feel how the setting, lighting, ceiling height- (very high) and textural finishes (Concrete, wax, velvet, retro wallpaper) all added a great deal to the experiencing of the art on display. The ‘Mise-en-scene’ had been carefully and intricately planned and created. The venue alone is an experience.


Neil Raitt

The winner this year is Neil Raitt whose work brings back memories of the ‘Sea House’ we rented as a family on the Isle of Sheppey. Although it was almost on a beach made up entirely of pink and orange shells with the muddy Medway beyond, the wallpaper was of alpine scenes! It always smelled damp too!

                                         Raitt (2014) Alpine 3



                                                                 Raitt (2014) Magic Tree 


Neil’s work is painted repetitions of mountain ranges, some with a lone pine tree, some with great forests of them. They become overwhelming in their repeated pattern. He has set them on a trellis-patterned wallpaper, which increases the layers of repeated pattern.
 What Neil is doing is reversing the idea of mass produced art. he is making something that looks like printed wall paper, but it is delightfully subversive up close, when you realise every mark is hand-made.
This puts his work at the forefront.
The effect is mesmerising and each image draws you in for a closer look. There is a sense of duality in the micro/macro close/distant view of the images. Although the idea is a simple one, they are painted so carefully, that the effect is hypnotic. On first glance they are amusing and calming in their repetition, but close up you see the brush strokes and appreciate the skill involved.

I hope to create this kind of mesmeric, hypnotic effect with my final pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment