Monday 19 May 2014

Social Media Feedback

         
  I asked for comments on a couple of my "Blood and Guts images that I posted on Facebook. This one is made from bones, meat, blood, an orchid and a rosary.

Below are some of the comments:






             First reaction is delight at these sumptuous colours and shapes.I should need to have them much magnified to see the blood and guts if that is what they are made of. The top picture in particular seems to contain red and green jewels and four pendants with the face of a bearded 'patriarch'. If my eye can gather so much pleasure for me I am inclined to leave it there and enjoy what I think I am seeing.

            
            Then we come to the question - how would I react if I could get the images to enlarge (they won't on my screen) so I could see what is actually there I don't know. Am I being made a fool of? Do I mind?

        
           There is a church in Middelburg in the Netherlands much decorated with stone 'garlands' of bones and skulls - to remind the congregation of their coming death. They produce a double take, as I suppose these images would, but they can claim a moral purpose. These set out apparently to play with the viewer. The resulting image is so beautiful that I can forgive what is a kind of deception, aided by the willingness of the eye to make its own version of what it sees.





            

            Not much use as comments as I'm not getting the repulsion bit. Love the pictures             though!

As I thought, the images are not evoking the repulsion response, so I need to make the subject matter clearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment