Monday 16 December 2013

sinful snake

I know that snakes are a common stimulant of  the emotion of disgust. This could be because of the Biblical reference of the serpent; the evil tempter in the garden of Eden. It could also be the result of a more ancient and primal training to keep us away from things that could hurt us.  The way snakes move on their bellies in a sideways slither can be very unsettling and cause a shudder.

I set up a shoot with a small black snake, some fur and feathers. I was trying to create the idea of the snake being a predator, silently stalking its prey.


As I was going to cut and rotate sections from the image several times to compose my image, the original composition was not important.


From these originals I mage  repetitive and kaleidoscopic patterns. I am hiding the source of fear and disgust.







The snake has been reduced to a shiny, textured, arching curved bar within the pattern.
My manipulation has created a deco-style design. It is interesting how the eye is led around the image and new forms jump out from it. There seem to be moths and other insects lurking there.
However, these images do not cause jolt of recognition as the subject matter is too well hidden. Also the image is too regular in its form and quite seductive and calming. There is a gothic feel, similar to the vine images, created by the strands and fibres of fur, but I do not think it feels sinister. I will have to ask  for feedback.




No comments:

Post a Comment